The International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI) Framework makes available the complete and updated collection of professional standards and best practice guidelines for public sector auditors, officially authorized and endorsed by the International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI). Many standards and guidelines are available in INTOSAI's five official languages - all ready to be consulted, printed and applied:
The ISSAI Framework gathers the official INTOSAI principles, standards and guidance. It is organized in four levels and the INTOSAI GOVs. These levels are:
1. Founding principles – compiled in one document: The Lima Declaration.
2. Prerequisites for the functioning of SAIs - state and explain the basic prerequisites for the proper functioning and professional conduct of SAIs.
3. Fundamental auditing principles - contain the fundamental principles for carrying out auditing of public entities.
4. Auditing guidelines - translate the fundamental auditing principles into more specific, detailed and operational guidelines that can be used on a daily basis for auditing tasks.
Two kinds of documents comprise the current Framework:
- The International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI) stating the basic prerequisites for the proper functioning and professional conduct of Supreme Audit Institutions and the fundamental principles in auditing of public entities.
- The INTOSAI Guidance for Good Governance (INTOSAI GOV) providing guidance to public authorities on the proper administration of public funds.
The development of ISSAIs and INTOSAI GOVs takes place in compliance with the Due process for developing, revising and withdrawing professional standards.
In December of 2016, the XXII INCOSAI approved a proposal for the revision of the Framework, which should be completed by 2019. “INTOSAI Framework of Professional Pronouncements (IFPP)” will be the new name adopted by the INTOSAI. According to the revision project, the new framework is structured in three parts:
- INTOSAI Principles (INTOSAI-P);
- International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAIs); and
- INTOSAI guidance (GUID).
The revision entails other important changes. See the Revision project for explanations, purpose, criteria, planning and other information.