Translation of INTOSAI pronouncements – can your SAI help?
Many SAIs all over the world use the INTOSAI’s pronouncements in their day-to-day work. Most pronouncements are drafted in English, but are available in all five official INTOSAI languages: English, Spanish, French, German and Arabic. This is a requirement under INTOSAI due process for standard setting.
Current practice is that unless another approach has been agreed, the working group responsible for drafting the pronouncement is also responsible for organising the translation of the approved endorsement version into the five official INTOSAI languages.
In order to contribute to high quality translations, the PSC has established a translation network of voluntary SAIs to help out with the translations.
Network of voluntary translators
A number of SAIs worldwide have language departments to translate documents using INTOSAI language combinations.
There may also be experienced auditors in SAIs working in one of the INTOSAI official languages. We invite these SAIs to participate in the INTOSAI pronouncements translation network.
In order to guarantee the quality of the translations, it´s important that the translators know the subject matter (and have a good command of English). A major advantage of this proposal is that SAI translators already have considerable knowledge of translating in the field of public audit and are familiar with the relevant terminology.
If you have translators willing to undertake the translation of a document with the approval of the employer, please get in touch with the PSC Secretariat.
Any pronouncement submitted for translation by the network will undergo a mandatory revision to ensure its quality. This will be done as an independent review of the translation accuracy, and correct use of terminology. This practice is not currently widespread among the existing INTOSAI pronouncements.
How does the translation network operate?
- working group arranges for the translations in all offical INTOSAI languages
- working group requiring a translation will contact the INTOSAI Technical Support Function (TSF) via PSC Secreatariat (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TSF arranges for the translation and revision to be made by one of our SAI partners in the language combination(s) available
- for the translations and revisions arranged by the TSF, the TSF will take responsibility to coordinate and answer any queries arising from the translators to align terminology and promote consistent translations
- translators and revisers are not required to format the translated text. To ensure consistency, the TSF and the PSC secretariat do this at a later stage when uploading the document to www.issai.org.
Current network of voluntary SAIs
Spanish: SAI Argentina
German: SAI Germany and SAI Austria
Arabic: SAI Qatar and SAI United Arab Emirates
French: SAI France
Russian: SAI Russia